Fresh out of college and in search of a job, I scanned the help wanted section of the newspaper (did I just date myself?) and emailed out my resume. Almost two decades and countless potlucks and cookouts later, Sheridan has become my second family. And with the way things constantly change in our industry, sometimes I feel just as green as I did on day one.
But the days of scanning the newspaper for a job are over, and as such hiring practices have become an all-out competition online. As labor struggles continue, especially on the manufacturing side, it’s more important than ever to ensure we are encouraging future generations to keep the industry alive and pushing forward.
I’m happy to report the labor issue at Sheridan seems to be turning a corner – though it may be a wide and long corner, and hiring is picking up across our locations. Could it be that the new workforce of today is just as taken to a juicy burger being cooked on the grill by our operations leaders?… I digress.
Igniting the Spark
Here are a few of the many ways that Sheridan is igniting the spark in local communities to keep printing an ongoing art:
- We invite local graphic arts students to spend a day with us to gain firsthand experience of the graphic art and book manufacturing processes.
- We participate in Woodford County Economic Development Authority’s Annual Industry Day in Kentucky by hosting onsite or virtual tours.
- We participate in Make it in Manufacturing day in Wisconsin by hosting onsite tours for local high school students.
- We work with local colleges to bring in interns from printing programs, graphic arts, and related studies.
- We participate in youth apprenticeship with local high school students.
- We speak at local vocational and high schools during career preview days.
- We speak at local colleges about manufacturing job opportunities.
- We participate in area and trade specific job fairs.
- And so much more…
Who We Are
Just as a parent is proud to watch their children grow, we too are proud to watch our new team members blossom. The members of the Sheridan family are part of something far greater than ourselves. We are innovators and doers who value the craft and art of printing, and the processes used to create and distribute the world’s content. We are a tight knit group that works hard, has fun (did I mention cookouts?), and is proud of what we do.
-As told by Laura Baker, Books Marketing Manager for CJK Group & Sheridan